Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Birthday Craziness

My name is Kira and I have a problem........

I LOVE throwing birthday parties and I may go "slightly" overboard but in a fun way!

Dylan is currently in the middle of his 5th birthday week! He had a star wars party on Saturday. It was "awesome" or so he tells me. And honestly that and the huge grin on his face is all the motivation I need!!! Dylan has been in love with Star Wars for over a year now. So I have known for awhile that that was going to be the birthday theme. So I started looking for fun stuff last November. Oh man!!! There is a lot of fun Star Wars stuff out there! Pintrest was a huge help! (and a favorite website in general!!!) I had to narrow the list of stuff down and that proved hard because everything was sooo awesome!! But narrow I did, here are sone things we did -

~ Star Wars related food
-- Han burgers
-- Darth Maul Double Bladed Dogs
-- Thermal Detonaters
-- Yoda Guacamole
-- Ewok Edibles
-- Dessert Sand
-- Death Pops
-- C3PO Oil
-- Tauntaun Turds
It was all delicious!!! And so fun everyone had a good time reading the labels of seemingly ordinary food!

~ Star Wars blow-ups on the wall. We had all of Dylan's favorite characters and ships!

~ A life size R2D2 decoration/future toy storage made by his grandpa

~ Jedi robes and Star Wars filled goody bags for the young guests

~ CAKES!!! Dylan had his own personal Death Star cake and I made a R2D2 cake for everyone else.

Every year I stress out and every year it turns out great!! My main concern is always the cakes!! I am NOT a decorating genius but I try my hardest to pretend that I am. (one day I will take a class and get better!!) the cakes are my biggest stress and take the longest but I want them perfect! They are a main staple of a birthday party after all! And I don't like doing them until the day of, cause they need to taste good!! So in turn it is trying to achieve perfection in a small amount of time, which equals one stressed out momma! And every year I tell my husband "why do I do this to myself every time?!" He says I don't know maybe you shouldn't! Bite your tongue!!!! This is my child's birthday it must be perfect and hand made by me!!! Very important.......or so I thought. This year a new revelation dawned on me......make a mini cake for the birthday child and buy the bigger one!! Ahhhhh! It was like a huge weight was lifted off of my shoulders! Glorious feeling, I could get my homemade mom vibes working and not keel over from stress and exhaustion!!! Yes!!! I could get behind that and will try it for Brady's birthday!

Another first this year is that we are having our first kid party! I am excited but another party means more planning, spending and stressing! But the time is here! We are going to have the party at Monkey Buziness this Friday with a mixture of family friends and school friends. The Star Wars theme will continue over. More about this party after it happens!

Finally we also had to do something special to celebrate Dylan's actual birthday!! So on the 27th we took him to Benihana's for dinner. We have been before and he liked it so thought it would be a fun place to eat and have good food! (ie. Not chuck e cheese's!!) he LOVED it! He enjoyed every minute if it. He liked choosing his own dinner, (steak and chicken!) he ate the onion soup, he loved watching the man cook, enjoyed his own special bowl of chicken fried rice, ate more food then I have ever seen, and was shy when the waitresses came over to sing to him! So cute and so worth the money! I am learning that everything we do has a monetary price but no matter that price it is worth it to see the HUGE smile that goes on his face and stays there!

Needless to say this feels like the longest birthday ever! (forgot to add in that we took cupcakes to school too!!) but it has been so fun to see him enjoy and appreciate every moment of it!! Makes everything I do and go through worth it! And when I see that grin I would do it all over again!! I love my 5 year old!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment